a collection of all things bike and all things cleveland

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Cassette

In the absence of a ride last weekend, I began thinking long and hard as to a place I'd love go and just spend a few days on the bike. Sure, there's Appalachia and the Pacific Northwest. I imagine New England would be pretty nice. As would the Smokies in Tennessee. But my number one is more local -- close to home but still off the beaten trail. I'd love to ride the The Ravenna Arsenal.


View Larger Map

Tucked neatly away in a densely wooded area between Ravenna and Warren, OH, this site would be ideal for an all-day ride. After researching a bit, I found an article that mentioned bike hikes being held on there intermittently. I think it would be a great place for a cyclocross or cross-country race maybe once a year in the fall. It could be called the Arsenal Assault or the Tour de Ordinance.

Here's an interesting news story produced by Julie Grant, formerly of 89.7 WKSU-fm in Kent, OH. Army Opens Ravenna Arsenal for Tour.

-----------------------------------

In other news, I was almost run down by a tractor trailer last week. I heard the unmistakable holler of a diesel engine behind me and took a gander over my left shoulder as the cab buzzed me, maybe 18 inches away. The trailer had me pinned in a narrow trench between the wheels and the curb.

I slowed down and tried to let him pass, but it seemed like he had the same intentions and did the same. I managed to squeeze out from behind, but was almost hit by another car when I tried to zip past on the left. Not the smartest move, I realize, but I wasn't really thinking straight at that point.

A grisly arm waved me past, but I never managed to see the driver's face, even as I glanced back at him. It was vaguely reminiscent of one of my favorite movies.

--------------------------

Another instance in which I was almost run down.

--------------------------

Also, I got a new wheelset last week. Can anyone hook me up with a seven speed cassette?

2 comments:

Charles said...

I'm going with you; leave the light on.

MikeS said...

Can you take road bikes on gravel/dirt trails like the Arsenal? Is it even a gravel/dirt trail?

Wait, incoming diss: I took my "road bike" on Charles' mom's "gravel/dirt" trail OHHHHHHHHHH